Thursday, July 4, 2013

Benefits of thrifting

Well I'd hoped to finish this post sooner, but that obviously didn't happen. Before I actually talk about what I am meaning to I must mention something that I forgot in my last post. I happen to be one of those kooky people that name their instruments. As a result my violin's name is Lady Elixa, my viola does not yet have a name seeing as she is still a rental.
Now, lets get down to business. Seeing as I am on the web quite a lot I have been noticing a trend, especially in the YouTube comments section. On every video or what ever featuring someone wearing clothing that is perceived as goth I see a few of the following comment: "I love the goth style, but I just can't afford to do it." The first problem with this statement is that goth is really not just a style. It is a whole subculture that involves music, a way of thinking and a way of dressing, it really is a whole lifestyle. The second problem with this is that it sounds to me like whoever writes these comments expects to transform into a goth overnight. I'm sorry to say this, but there is no escaping the baby bat phase. Dressing goth, well actually everything about is usually pretty gradual. There are several different styles and each person must find what one(s) fit them and that they like the most.
The third problem is that goth is only expensive if you make it expensive. Sure there is a lot of cool stuff online, but the majority of it is insanely expensive. Instead of looking online, look in thrift shops. I go to thrift stores, mainly goodwill and find lots of amazing shirts, shoes, dresses, and skirts. It just takes longer and sometimes you can't find anything at all. I recently went to goodwill and found a couple cute shirts and dresses which I may post later. Another good way to cut down on expenses is to do DIY (do it yourself) stuff. Have a boring black t-shirt? Go to a fabric store and get lace and add a lace fridge. If the t-shirt is larger then cut it into strips and use it over a tank top. There are tons of different things you can do to make your clothing your own and at usually pretty reasonable costs. Along with clothes that can be expensive you also have shoes. Shoes can be tricky, but there are some things that you can do. One thing that I do to shoes that I like, but may not like the color of is sharpie out what I don't like. I tend use black or sliver sharpie but other colors also work well as long as they are relatively dark. Another fun thing to do with shoes is to put in different laces.
Last but not least lets talk boots. Boots no matter what you do always tend to be expensive. I myself LOVE boots, but don't really have the budget to get them for brand new prices. Sometimes they do show up in thrift stores. I have gotten two pairs of my boots for almost new condition for in between 10 to 15 dollars. To get more specialty boots from brands like demonia, online is often the only option. To get a pair online I find the name of the boots I am in love with then I constantly check eBay for the boots to see if I can get a better price.
It appears that this post turned out to be quite a bit longer than I intended it to be. Yet I still feel as if I left some things unexplained. So, I will probably make other posts concerning some of the things I mentioned in this post. If you have any questions or want me to explain something or even are just wondering something random please comment and I will try my best to make a post to answer any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment